Skip to main content

Fire Recovery For Landowners 

May contain: ground, soil, nature, vegetation, and plant

Over the next two years, Butte County RCD will be pursuing grants for landscape-level reforestation projects in and around the Concow basin.  Our generation's task is to set the new forest up for success in the future climate of longer droughts, warmer wetter storms, and shorter fire intervals.  The new forest will be open, patchy, and diverse.  The new forest will also need to be adapted to regular, low-intensity fire. 

If you own land in that recently burned and you want help with reforestation, please fill out this form.  That's also the link to use if you are interested in returning prescribed fire to your land, whether your land recently burned or not.


Straw wattles are a simple but effective way to stop sediment and toxic ash from flowing downhill!

Land is incredibly resilient. Often, it heals best when it's simply left alone.  Other times, it needs a helping hand.  Here are some resources to help you decide how to care for your burned land.

If you own land in Butte Creek Canyon, please consider giving permission to crews to install straw wattles, straw mulch and emergency erosion control measures -- at no cost to you.  Please tell us your name, address, parcel number, contact info, and any access information you need crews to have (locked gate combos, etc.)  Send us an email at (redacted).  

And, read about Friends of Butte Creek erosion control projects here.


If you own land elsewhere in the fire footprint,  or even outside it, you can get free or low-cost help  planting new trees, doing erosion control, or re-introducing regular low-intensity fire to your land.   It can be confusing to sort through all the programs so we put together a guide for you. We'll update it as we learn of new programs.

Cheat Sheet to Federal, State, and Local Help for Landowners - Burned or Unburned Land


DIY resources for landowners....

First, download this great fire recovery handbook from the California Native Plant Society.

How to install wattles- printer-friendly download link for the guide below.How to tell if burned conifers will survive (article from CAL FIRE)How to tell if burned oaks will survive (article from UC Extension)UC guide for landowners on helping land renew itself after a fireGetting a handle on BROOM, an invasive plant that loves intense fires - and fuels them :(

Hope, one year later: Sonoma County landscapes return to life

May contain: advertisement, poster, brochure, flyer, paper, and text
May contain: nature, outdoors, soil, advertisement, and land